Monday, March 07, 2011

THE WRITING TEACHER BLOG


I've begun a new blog. Yes, I know. "What!? A new blog?" Finding the time to write on the blogs I do have, QUE PASA and BASS LAKE BUNCH is hard, but something came up the other day that I just couldn't resist and am feeling the urge to begin yet another new project.

Rebecca turned 7 last month.  A milestone in and of itself, Becca is also expressing the desire to write. As we near the end of her first grade year, we are seeing her grow, becoming a high leveled reader (she's reading Junie B. Jones and Cam Jansen, both third grade leveled chapter books).  Now, she wants to write.

For the past several years, Becca has written (I should say scribbled) in notebooks and we've encouraged her to express herself positively, so naturally, keeping a journal would come next in her writing development.  What caught me by surprise is that she asked me to teach her how to keep a journal and the idea about me keeping a journal right along with her came to me like an epiphany.

So, go check out my newest blog.  It will contain mostly journal entries, right along with my daughter, but I will also use her writing, with her permission, of course, displayed in the blog. You can find it by going to the Links area to the right of this post, and click on "THE WRITING TEACHER", or just click on this link writingteacher2006.blogspot.com and enjoy.

The final goal of the blog is to explore how to teach primary students writing in order to bring about a change in their skills, to help them be better writers.  As I explore teaching primary writers, I want to record my thoughts and revelations, and hopefully become a better primary writing teacher.

Thanks for following!

No comments: